"Slip and Fall" or "Trip and Fall" is when someone slips or trips due to a dangerous condition on property belonging to someone else. Property owners and businesses are required to provide a safe environment for their customers and guests, yet unmarked hazards such as wet or defective flooring, poor lighting, broken handrails, or other dangers can result in serious injuries or death.
Slip and Fall or Trip and Fall accidents have to do with an area of the law called Premises Liability which is a term that describes the responsibility that a property owner has to warn invited visitors or guests to possible dangers on the property.
Property owners do not always provide a reasonable level of care to ensure their property is free of hazards that could cause serious harm to their customers and guests. When you or a loved one trips or slips as the result of a hazard, you may have a case. Call or come by and talk to a Slip and Fall Attorney at Greene & Phillips.
Types of Premises Liability Cases
Slip and Fall — Where there is something slick or wet on the floor and the victim slips on it, falls, hurting themselves requiring medical attention.
Trip and Fall — Sometimes a building will have a area of the floor that is uneven or has a large defect that could be a tripping hazard.
For a business or individual to be responsible for the injuries that you have suffered as the result of slipping or tripping the following must be true:
- Owner or employee caused the hazard (spill, torn spot, or other danger).
- Owner or employee knew about the danger and did nothing to fix it or warn of hazard.
- It would be reasonable to expect that the owner or an employee would know of the hazard and fix the problem before someone was hurt.
Evidence that can help a Premises Liability Case
- Photos and video with your camera.
- Witnesses statements, names, and phone numbers
- Security camera footage
Often the store or premise will have closed circuit video system that will have footage of the trip/slip. A lawyer will be able to gain access to these files, but since business have retention policies that allow them to delete old footage, it is very important to get a lawyer involved as soon as possible so that they can secure these recordings before they are deleted.
Steps to take after a Premises Liability Accident
- Make sure to alert the property owner or manager of the incident
- Seek medical attention
- Don't talk to the other party's insurance company before consulting with a lawyer
- Contact a slip and fall injury lawyer
Locations of Slip/Trip and Fall
- Swimming Pools
- Stairs too Steep or at an angle.
- Broken Banisters
- Parking Lots
- Shops and Stores
- Theaters and Stadiums
Common Causes for Slip and Fall Accidents
- Wet or Slippery Floors
- Clutter or Debris on Walkway
- Unexpected Trenches or Potholes
- Damaged Walkway
The attorneys of Greene & Phillips are prepared to investigate your claim, seek any evidence or witness statements, and quickly get the money you deserve for your injury. Call or come by our office. You never need an appointment, the consultation is always free, and we won't charge you a dime, unless we get money for you.